With the Calgary Stampede and Craven Jamboree happening this weekend, for some odd reason I’ve been craving BBQ ribs! And not just any BBQ ribs, slow cooker BBQ ribs with Applebees-style sauce! I got this recipe from a friend years ago, and if you look for the Applebee’s Baby Back Ribs recipe, the sauce is bang-on according to the internet.
Making ribs in the slow cooker is awesome for hot summer days. If you still want to get a bit of blackened caramelized sauce on your ribs, you can grill them for a few minutes before serving though I find it pointless to fire up the grill and make a mess just for that. I just line a baking sheet with foil and broil the ribs for a few minutes after cooking (yes, you’re heating up the oven but it’s just for a few minutes rather than all day baking these.)
- 1 rack of your favorite (baby back, side, etc.) pork ribs
- 1 cup ketchup
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbp brown sugar
- 3 tbp worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- ½ tsp salt
- Remove membrane from the ribs (it makes them more tender, in my opinion, though I always ask my husband to do this task!)
- Place ribs in the slow cooker, cutting them to fit if need be
- In a measuring cup, combine the sauce ingredients then pour over the ribs.
- Cover and cook on low 7-8 hours or, alternatively if you have a shorter amount of time to work with cook on high for 3 hours and low for 2.
- To caramelize the sauce, remove from the slow cooker and place on a foil lined baking sheet, then broil in the oven for 5-10 minutes.