We are a carb-cutting family, but one thing I’ve learned through the years of our health and wellness journey as a family is that carbs still have a place in our diet. I can’t resist warm baked bread with butter (OMG!) and while typically our side dishes involve a veggie, once in awhile rice just hits the spot, don’t you think?
This oven baked rice recipe has been used in our household since before my husband and I were married. It’s an easy go-to because it involves minimal ingredients and can be made a side-dish or as a meal itself when living single (yes, this recipe has been with me for a long time!)
The versatility of this recipe makes it appealing as well – use your favorite veggies and whatever you have on hand. Just ensure that you don’t use instant-rice, and if you choose to use brown rice, note that you’ll have to increase your cooking time accordingly.
- 2 cups rice (I used a medium-grain white rice this time, but have used jasmine and basmati as well)
- 1 can mushrooms, including liquid
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 package dry onion soup mix
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- In a 9×13 inch baking dish, combine rice, mushrooms, celery, red bell pepper, carrots, onion soup mix, beef broth, water, oil, and soy sauce.
- Bake, covered, in preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until all liquid is absorbed and rice is cooked.
That’s it! That’s how easy this recipe is! Other great veggie additions include peas, corn, or green pepper depending on your preference.