Now that the official first day of summer, and the official end of the school year are both just days away, it’s a great time to get ready for Summer 2016! Ensure you are prepared for all the fun ahead, and don’t be caught off guard (whether that’s in your pantry, wine fridge, or backyard supplies).
Sun-kissed skin isn’t so cute once it’s burned, so here are a few reminders and thought starters to keep in mind heading into the best two months of the year (don’t you think? I mean, really. I live in Saskatchewan – THIS IS THE BEST TIME OF THE YEAR!)
- Remember that the sun’s rays are the strongest between 10 AM and 4 PM, so if you can get in some play time or park time with the kids outside these hours, it can help reduce your sunburn risk.
- One ounce of sunscreen should be applied to your entire body (about the same amount as a shot glass), but you also need to remember to reapply every 2 hours.
- It takes on average about 30 minutes for sunscreen to soak into skin and work effectively – this is probably one of my biggest whoopsies as a mom – slap on the sunscreen and send the kids outside! Prepare ahead of time, parents!
- Sunscreen is only one level of defense. Utilize hats, protective clothing and sunglasses for more coverage.
- Look for a sunscreen that has Broad spectrum UVA/UVB protection, is water resistant for up to 80 minutes, moisturizes to relieve dryness and enables sand to brush off easily with a lightweight formula. It exists all in one product too: Banana Boat SunComfort Lotion is available in SPF 30 and 50+ and is in stores now.
Don’t forget to enter the Banana Boat Summer Hacks contest, where you can win a family vacation worth $2,500 to a destination of their choice! You still have time, the contest closes on July 3!