With a successful first season just wrapped up, STORYHIVE is is now focused on Season 2 which just launched October 14th. What is STORYHIVE? It’s a kickstarter-inspired online platform where local content creators in Metro Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary and surrounding areas, and new for season 2 – Victoria – can pitch their ideas for a chance at grant funding from TELUS. All skill levels are encouraged to participate, from from at home hobbyists to film school trained production talent and everyone in between.
In Season One, twenty emerging artists from Vancouver, Edmonton and Calgary were all chosen by a social vote to receive a $10,000 grant from TELUS to bring their short films to life and receive distribution on Optik TV On Demand and online. From compelling docs on how big oil directly affects our community, world cycle touring tips, local stories from Eastside Vancouver to visually arresting short films on artificial intelligence or a deadly Sharkasaurus thriller, this collection of winning shorts highlights the many talents of local Canadian up and coming filmmakers.
Feeling inspired? Here’s how you can get started with STORYHIVE right now:
Season 2 will be broken into two stages:
• The top 30 finalists will be selected in BC and Alberta (15 in each province)
• 15 x $10,000 grants per province will be awarded to the finalists to develop a
• The grant winners will also receive distribution through TELUS Optik TV on
• This is a total of $300,000 to invest in local talent and locally produced content
• The top 30 finalists will then compete with their finished pilot for the chance to
• One award of $50,000 will be given to the top project in each province, along
• Stage 2 winners will also receive mentorship and training from industry pros, helping them to move from emerging artist to well-known talent
• This will be an additional $100,000 invested in local talent and content creation in BC and Alberta, plus the value of the training and mentorship (TBC)
• Check out www.storyhive.com for updates.
Basically? If you can pitch better than this, it’s probably worth a shot. 😉