One of the best things about spring is the get-togethers that inevitably happen. Friends and family peek their heads out the door, shovel off the remaining piles of snow on the deck, and prepare to host birthday parties, showers, barbecues and any reason to see friends that have been hibernating in 2015. I love hosting, and yes one of my favorite parts of hosting friends is the food! Later this month we’ll be celebrating my youngest daughter’s 4th birthday by having a group of close friends over. Let the party food planning begin!
One of our favorites in this household is an easy Baked Mushroom Dip. The core ingredients (Kraft Cream Cheese, Kraft Habanero Shredded Cheese, mushrooms and onions) are important, and the seasonings can be played with to suit your tastes. Below I suggested Garlic Plus or Herb & Garlic seasoning, but we’ve also tried chili powder or even a spicy mustard. It’s up to you!
- 2 cups diced mushrooms
- 1 tbsp margarine
- ¼ cup diced onion
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp Garlic Plus Seasoning or Garlic & Herb Seasoning
- 1 cup Kraft Habanero Shredded Cheese
- Green onion for garnish
- Combine mushrooms, margarine and onions in a frying pan and cook until most of the liquid is evaporated (about 10 minutes).
- In a bowl, combine the cream cheese, mayonnaise, seasoning and cheese.
- Add mushroom mixture to the cream cheese mixture. Mix well.
- Place dip in a baking dish (about 9" but depends on depth)
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, or alternatively you can place in a slow cooker and cook on low for an hour before your guests arrive.
- Serve with tortilla chips, crackers, or in a bread bowl
Do you have a favorite cheesy recipe that you love to make for a crowd? I totally endorse having a craving for one and inviting people over just so you can make it – yes, I’ve done that!