I am one of those weird people (we’re growing in numbers though) who loves cauliflower. You don’t even have to disguise it as mashed potatoes (mashed cauliflower, by the way, is so good!) or in a pizza crust, though all the ways you can utilize cauliflower to save you some carbs and calories are helpful when you’re trying to lose weight.
There’s been several recipes for cauliflower bites making the rounds on Pinterest and Facebook and while puttering around in the kitchen last weekend, I made a version that is so good, I sort of almost ate the whole thing. I paid for it later with a stomach ache, but I’d do it again. I have no shame.
If you like your food with a little kick (in the face), you’ll love this! I love lime, so I went heavy on that, but you could reduce it or eliminate it altogether too. Serve with a side of ranch for dipping and enjoy! This makes an amazing appetizer for guests too – I can’t wait to serve this on our backyard deck this summer!
- 1 head of cauliflower cut into bite size florets
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup of your favorite BBQ sauce or whatever you have in the fridge
- ½ cup brown sugar
- juice of 2 limes
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine flour and cauliflower and toss until fully coated.
- Prepare your dredging station: one bowl for whisked eggs (add about 2Tbsp water to the eggs), and one bowl for the panko bread crumbs. Dip the cauliflower in the egg, then panko bread crumbs until fully coated.
- Place breaded cauliflower on parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 25 minutes until crispy.
- While baking, prepare the sauce by combining the BBQ sauce, brown sugar, lime juice and garlic powder in a small saucepan on low heat.
- Remove cauliflower from oven when ready, drizzle sauce on top, and serve! Top with green onions, or sesame seeds, or cilantro - it's up to you! Serve with a side of ranch for dipping and await the compliments!