I love summer season, or BBQ season more appropriately named! Often in the hottest months of the year, we’re just not hungry for a heavy dinner, and that’s when our favorite salads move into rotation on our dinner menu. A great salad paired with grilled chicken, a skewer of shrimp or juicy steak is the perfect hot-weather meal.
This recipe is super-easy and is now my husband’s favorite salad. We’ve made it several times this summer as we have most of the items on hand either from our own garden or the farmer’s market. Just ensure you buy your avocados a little hard, as soft ripe avocado is better as a spread or guacamole, and a less ripe avocado is better for cubing in a salad. Yum!
- 1 - 10oz pkg grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 long English cucumber, sliced
- ½ red onion, sliced
- 2 avocados, diced into bite sized pieces
- 2 Tbsp EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice (even better if you have fresh lemons, juice from about ½ a lemon in that case)
- ¼ cup fresh chopped cilantro
- Season with salt and pepper to taste
- Place all chopped, sliced and diced veggies into a large salad bowl.
- Drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice and toss to coat.
- Plate and top with salt/pepper.
- Serve with grilled chicken, steak, shrimp skewers but is also amazing on its own!