I use my slow cooker year round but especially love it in the summer when I can prepare easy meals and keep my house cool as well! One recipe that’s loved year-round here is my slow cooker spaghetti sauce. I just made a double-batch this week and brought it (along with a garlic loaf) over to a friend’s house who had just been blessed with twin baby boys! It was a hit there too – and that’s one of the best things about it, if you make a huge batch there’s plenty to share and freeze for later too.
The recipe below is for a single batch – what you see above is a double batch in a 5qt slow cooker. I need a bigger slow cooker for my big cooking days!
- 1lb hamburger
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced onion
- ½ cup diced green pepper
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms or 1 can sliced mushrooms
- 2 16oz cans of stewed tomatoes
- 1 5.5 oz can of tomato paste
- 1 13oz can tomato sauce
- 3 TBSP Club House (or whatever brand you like) Greek Seasoning
- Brown and drain hamburger.
- Place hamburger in the slow cooker, stir in the stewed tomatoes, tomato paste and tomato sauce.
- Add in the remaining ingredients.
- Cover and cook on low all day or even just a few hours - the longer the better!
- This recipe doubles well and freezes well too! Don't be concerned about the exact sizes of cans of sauce/tomatoes, I always use what size I happen to have on hand!