Sandwiches are a go-to in Canadian households because they are so easy! However, if you’re like me, you often end up with a lunch time dilemma when you’re so over the usual sandwich and looking for something different! I’ve been experimenting with paninis, wraps and more to add some variety to my lunch but let’s face it – nothing beats a delicious stacked sandwich. Actually, if you find the right recipe, sandwiches can even surpass the lunch time job title and become a dinner time favorite as well!
Take, for example, this Slow Cooker Root Beer BBQ Beef recipe that has very few ingredients yet is packed full of flavor! We made this over the weekend and it was a huge hit – so much so that my son took the leftovers to school for lunch today (put the meat in a separate container to heat and add to the bun at lunch time).
- 1 boneless beef roast
- 2 cups barbecue sauce
- 1.5 cups root beer
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- Dash of salt and pepper, if desired
- Dempster's Deluxe Hamburger Buns
- Place beef in slow cooker
- In a separate bowl, mix the barbecue sauce, root beer and minced garlic
- Pour liquid mixture over the beef, add salt and pepper
- Cover and cook on low 8 hours
- About 15 minutes before serving, remove as much liquid as you can from the slow cooker and place in a skillet on medium-high heat. Shred the beef in the slow cooker (it will literally fall apart) and replace lid.
- Heat liquid mixture for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, to thicken. You can add some corn starch if desired, but it reduces quite well on its own.
- Pour thickened liquid back into the slow cooker, mix, and serve the beef on the buns with toppings of your choice.
Love this sandwich idea? You can find even more at DIY Sandwich, a site packed full and stacked high with delicious sandwich goodness!
The DIY Sandwich Instagram page is particularly good, though I wouldn’t advise visiting on an empty stomach! Check out all the Pro Builds at DIY Sandwich and if you try this Slow Cooker Root Bear BBQ Beef Sandwich recipe I shared, I’d love to hear what you think!