My son, 9, has never been a potato fan beyond french fries. You know how restaurants typically have a toddler plate with mashed potatoes and veggies, because what kid doesn’t love mashed potatoes? My kid. As a toddler he’d turn his nose up at those yummy mashed potato toddler plates and to this day isn’t a fan. So when I find other ways to serve potatoes he’s mildly curious. After making this recipe i found on Pinterest, he declared these “my favorite potatoes!” Hallelujah!
Even if you don’t have a picky potato eater, you will love these potatoes. I can’t wait to make them again!
You can also bake the potatoes ahead of time in the slow cooker using this slow cooker baked potatoes recipe!
- 4-6 baking potatoes
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Shredded cheese (I used Parmesan)
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Bake potatoes as usual for about 45 minutes, alternatively you can boil them until tender enough to poke with a fork.
- Lightly oil a baking pan or cooking sheet (I used cooking oil spray)
- Remove potatoes from oven or pot. Using two plates or a fork (I used two dessert plates) smash/squish the potato between the two plates. We realized quickly there's a bit of a technique to this, don't be too zealous or they will fall apart (whoops!)
- Evenly drizzle each potato with some olive oil and then season with salt and pepper
- Bake the cracked potatoes until they are golden brown and crispy (about 30 minutes)
- Top with cheese and pop back in the oven for a few minutes to allow the cheese to melt.