Having bacon in the fridge is a beautiful thing.
I had a package of bacon in the fridge, intending to make Bacon Wrapped Jalapenos (if you’ve never tried, you really really need to!) and somehow never got around to the task. With a BBQ dinner planned that evening, I decided I was going to bacon wrap something – I just didn’t know what.
I looked online for bacon wrapped chicken recipes and there are tons out there. The majority were for oven-baked chicken which is great and all but in Canada we take advantage of our summer months and grill as much as we can! So I wanted to figure out a recipe for the grill. I found a great one, but the seasonings weren’t working for me – all seasoning, no sauce. No sauce??!
So – I set out and created my own marinade/sauce by using ingredients from two different recipes. I used a few ingredients from my Easy Chicken Marinade recipe, and added some spice to heat it up a bit! The result? AMAZING sauce that I will definitely use again, and delicious bacon to top it all off.
Seriously, people, you need to try this recipe. I’m craving it again today.
- ¼ cup oil
- ½ cup low sodium soy sauce
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 4 chicken breasts sliced into strips
- 1 package bacon
- Combine the oil, soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic powder and chili powder in a large measuring cup
- Place chicken strips (basically a chicken breast sliced in half, and then half again) into a large Ziploc bag and pour the sauce mixture on top, reserving ¼ cup of the marinade for later
- Seal and place in the fridge for at least 2 hours - the longer the better and overnight would be perfect
- Preheat grill
- Remove chicken from marinade and wrap each piece of chicken in bacon, securing with toothpicks (soak the toothpicks in water first)
- Grill on medium-high heat for 15-20 minutes, turning to ensure even grilling.
- In the last 5 minutes, brush the chicken with the ¼ cup marinade you saved earlier.