There are recipes in our household that I make all the time, that I think are simple recipes that don’t require following an actual list of instructions. Things like easy soups, stews and lasagna. It occurred to me that there was a time when I didn’t know how to make them, and had to look up a recipe to see how exactly it was done. And so, in this spirit I’m sharing my go-to lasagna recipe. I actually had to put some thought into how I do it, so I could share!
- 1 lb lean ground beef (not an exact measurement, a package of ground beef from the store will suffice!)
- ½ onion, diced
- 1 jar (700ml, 23oz) spaghetti sauce
- ½ can (540ml, 19oz size) diced tomatoes
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 250g container cottage cheese
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ bag (380g size) Kraft Italiano Shredded Cheese
- 1 box oven ready lasagna noodles
- parmesan cheese to sprinkle on top before serving
- In a large skillet over medium heat brown the ground beef with the diced onions. Drain the grease. Add spaghetti sauce and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Mince garlic clove and add to cottage cheese, mix well.
- To assemble, in the bottom of a 9×13 inch baking dish evenly spread a few tablespoons of the sauce mixture. You don’t need a lot, just enough to give the bottom a liquid base so your noodles don’t stick.
- Start by laying down lasagna noodles to cover the bottom – you may need to get creative and snap noodles in half to fit in spots.
- Cover noodles with ½ of your sauce, ½ your spinach, and all your cottage cheese (see photo below).
- Cover with lasagna noodles.
- On this layer, cover with ½ sauce, ½ your spinach and all your shredded cheese this time.
- Cover with tin foil and bake in 350 oven for 50 minutes.
Layering Step 1: sauce to cover the bottom, lasagna noodles, meat/sauce mixture, then spinach.
Layering Step 2: add in cottage cheese/garlic mixture.
Layering Step 3: More lasagna noodles, more meat/sauce mixture, more spinach and this time top with shredded cheese.
Doesn’t it look good? Cover your layered goodness with tin foil and bake in the oven at 350 degrees for about 50 minutes. At that point, uncover and broil to brown the cheese on the top.