Build-A-Bear Workshop Seeks Huggable Heros

0 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Pin It Share 0 StumbleUpon 0 0 Flares ×

build-a-bear-huggable-herosThe Build-A-Bear Workshop® Huggable Heroes® program, now in its 10th year, is accepting nominations for young people ages eight to 18 who are doing their part to make the world a better place. Ten Huggable Heroes will each receive $10,000 which includes educational scholarships, donation to a charity of their choice, and a mentoring scholarship to support their charitable entrepreneurships.

In celebration of the 10th birthday of its Huggable Heroes program, Build-A-Bear Workshop is joining forces with the prestigious Jefferson Awards for Public Service, one of the United States’ top community service recognition programs founded 40 years ago by Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, Senator Robert Taft, Jr. and Sam Beard. Through the Jefferson Awards’ GLOBECHANGERS training and mentoring systems, the newest generation of philanthropists recognized by Build-A-Bear Workshop will be equipped with the tools they need to build a lifetime of public service.

Each Huggable Hero will be paired with a mentor through the Jefferson Awards GLOBECHANGERS system for a year in order to develop valuable skills for writing business plans, networking and fundraising. The training and on-going support the Huggable Heroes receive from their mentors will enable these future leaders to grow personally and scale their efforts globally.

Over the past ten years, the Huggable Heroes have as a group raised more than $9.4 million, have collected more than 316 million items to donate and recruited thousands of volunteers to extend their efforts. This year, Build-A-Bear Workshop will name 10 Huggable Heroes who are making the most significant impact in their communities and beyond.

Nominations will be accepted through the website buildabear.com/huggableheroes or by mail until February 28, 2013. Nomination forms are also available at Build-A-Bear Workshop stores in Canada, the United States and Puerto Rico.

How many HuggableHeroes will be selected?
Ten Huggable Heroes will be selected from Canada, the U.S. and Puerto Rico.

How are the Huggable Heroes selected?
Honourees will be selected in three stages: Semifinalists, Finalists, and Huggable Heroes. The entries will be narrowed down by independent judges to 80 Semifinalists. Judges will then select 30 Finalists and finally the 10 Huggable Heroes.

What do the Huggable Heroes win?
The 10 selected Huggable Heroes will each receive $10,000 ($6,400 in the form of an educational scholarship and Jefferson Awards GLOBECHANGERS mentoring and training program valued at $1,100 from Build-A-Bear Workshop and $2,500 from the Build-A-Bear Workshop Foundation to be donated to the Canadian cause of their choice). In addition, the Huggable Heroes will receive a trip for themselves and one parent, or legal guardian, to St. Louis, home of Build-A-Bear Workshop World Bearquarters, where they will be celebrated for their work, participate in a professional photo shoot, a Jefferson Awards GLOBECHANGERS BOOTCAMP and a day of service.

What a great opportunity for young heroes in our community! Nominate someone you know today, or share with your local school so they can do the same! Thank to Build-A-Bear from me personally, for sharing Warm Hugs Furever Bear with my personal hero, Cheryl Peters of Beautiful Side of Hectic.

Comments

1. thanks

2. Awesome program – never heard of it before!

3. Great idea!

4. Cassie Fancy says:

What a great program !!

5. Florence C says:

Nice way to give back.

6. love it

7. Awsome

8. Sounds like a great program! I’ve never heard of it before!

9. Tiffany Mahaffie says:

Sounds awesome!!

10. Carmen Elena says:

Great program…that’s awesome!

11. Very nice! I love Build-A-Bear, especially for birthdays, but I love them even more when I know they are giving back :)

12. Chantelle Muise says:

This is Awesome, thanks for the details.

13. lori butler says:

this is the first I have heard of this,

14. my grandson loves build a bear

15. Cute!

16. Our son & daughter-in-law used Build-A-Bear to gift their flower girl and ring bearer. They recorded personalized “Thank You’s” on a personalized gift! I hadn’t heard of the Huggable Heroes Program. Awesome way to give back.

17. Elizabeth B says:

This is the first time I’m hearing about this program. Although that could have something to do with the fact that we have a dust mite allergy in our house and stuffies are kept to a min.

18. great way to give back

19. Suzanne G says:

What a great program

20. I think this is a great way to honour those doing good!

21. Awesome!

22. Nicole Fleming says:

Great way to give back!!!

23. This company really knows how to give back. I think they do a fantastic job. I don’t know any children that are in the age group mentioned so I have nobody to nominate. Wish I did.

24. Lee Pearson says:

This is a really good program and very important for young people to be recognized for their achievements at their young age. Wow, this is impressive!

25. This sounds like a good program that gives young people the recognition they deserve. I would like to see the ‘Huggable Hero’ having the option of going on the trip with both parents and or guardian…I am a single parent and my Mum came everywhere with us. Sara wouldn’t have been able to choose between the two of us. Today, Sara has a wonderful bond with my Mum.

26. Joyce Poyton says:

This is a really great program recognizing young people.

27. Dayna Wilson says:

I love Build a Bear, and this is a really brilliant program. It’s nice to read positive news. :)

28. Sounds amazing!

29. Chandra Christine O'Connor says:

Bravo! Wish I knew of someone to nominate.

30. Tania Smith says:

I shared this on facebook. I have never heard of this program before and I think it’s wonderful.

31. Such a great idea!

32. A great idea and a nice way to give back to those heros. My granddaughters love Build A Bear!

33. Doris Calvert says:

My niece , nephew and myself go to Build a Bear at least 4 times a year it’s our thing and we all love it!

34. that’s so great! my kids are constantly begging me to go to Build A Bear!

35. Jennifer Abbott says:

I have a build a bear the kids love to watch the fluff in the machine flying around through the little window.

36. Seem interesting

37. great Thank-you

38. Oh Love bild a bear. My kids have one each. and i have 4 kids. and they are talking aobut wanting more

39. great program!

40. Viv Sluys says:

Most excellent program! Glad to see them giving back!

41. awesome way to give back

42. Great program! Never thought :) Good job!

43. I didn’t know about this. What a wonderful way to support young outstanding children!

44. wonderful way to give back

45. I think this is a great program to inspire children to start giving back early in their life.

46. wonderful

47. Aww, I love this! :)

48. First I’ve heard of the Huggable Heroes Program – thx.

49. We love Build A Bears! What a great program…Love them even more now :)

50. This is great!!

51. I have never heard of this, but this is a great program. I love companies that give back.

52. Wow this is really commendable. Not very often you see organisations like these honouring the youth in our community!

53. Awesome… such a great idea

54. Katrina Skakun says:

Cute!

55. Caitlin Cox says:

Aweswome Idea! :)

56. What a great opportunity for any child to win! Such a great charity! :)

57. Natasha M. says:

amazing program!! way to get kids inspired :)

58. Lucy Cober says:

Never heard of this very nice to hear wonder who the heroes will be

59. Heather Cady says:

hadn’t heard of this before – what a great program!

60. Amazing program!

61. great program!

62. Wow, that’s cool! I’ve never heard of this program before.

63. Great idea for the kids! I especially like the idea of the educational scholarships.

64. This is a great program! I like that it promotes education!

65. Awesome!

66. Such a great idea! And an amazing cause! Love it! :)

67. I have been to a Build-A-Bear Store but did not know about this wonderful program. I am always so happy when I hear about companies that give back to the community in some form!

68. Sherry Peirson says:

this is Great!!

69. Great program to encourage youth! First time I’ve heard about it.

70. Great Program!!

71. that’s great!

72. heather holmberg says:

This is a great program as well as a great activity to do with kids. My niece is Autistic and she and I bonded and had a great time at the workshop we attended

73. Tanya Prpich says:

Great program!

74. Lori Bazan says:

Great idea and concept. Building a bear workshop is such a great time and I am thankful that this company has initiated a fun way to give back!

75. Neat idea! I had never heard of this before, but do think it’s a great way to give back

76. This is a wonderful program – such a great way to recognize youth who are really making a difference. Lovely to know that build-a-bear has been making this rewarding contribution.

77. I think this is a great program.

78. cest un bon programme éducatif, jaimerais le découvrir!!

79. Anne Taylor says:

brilliant idea! Thanks for sharing!