I love balsamic chicken and this is a great twist with prosciutto and asparagus! I combined two recipes to create this one with the creamy balsamic sauce – can’t have too much balsamic I say!
Prosciutto and Asparagus Rolled Chicken Breasts with Creamy Balsamic Sauce
- 3½ tbsp olive oil
- 8 large asparagus spears, cut into 1 inch pieces
- salt and pepper
- 4 large boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 tbsp basil
- 4 slices prosciutto
- 4 slices parmigiano reggiano cheese (you can substitute your favorite here, I like Kraft shredded Italiano cheese)
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Cream Sauce:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- ¼ onion, minced
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat, then add 1½ tbsp olive oil and the asparagus. Season with salt and pepper and saute for 2-4 minutes.
- Flatten the chicken by placing in a zip loc bag and pounding with a meat mallet. Lay flat on a cutting board.
- Layer an even amount of prosciutto, basil, cheese and a handful of asparagus on each breast and then roll. Use a toothpick to seal the rolls.
- Place chicken in a shallow baking dish with just enough water to cover the bottom. Bake uncovered at 400 for 40 minutes.
- To make the cream sauce, heat olive oil and butter in a pan over medium heat. Stir in the onion and cook until caramelized, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the balsamic vinegar and cook for 1 minute before stirring in the cream.
- Bring to a simmer then remove from heat and stir in the parmesan cheese until melted. Serve over chicken and rice.